Dr. Emily H. Stowe (1831-1903) was Canada's first female physician and a founding leader of Canada's suffrage movement. Between the mid-1860s and the mid-1890s, Dr. Emily H. Stowe practiced medicine and resided on Church Street near Queen Street East in Toronto. During the 1860s and early 1870s, Dr. Stowe was located on the east side of Church Street just north of Queen Street East (near present-day 145 Church Street). Around the mid-1870s, Dr. Stowe and her family moved to the east side of Church Street just south of Queen Street East (near present-day 119 Church Street). Around 1894, the Stowes moved to Spadina Avenue. Alongside her medical practice, Dr. Stowe was a leader of Canada's suffrage movement, including being the founder and president of the Canadian Women’s Suffrage Association. Prior to practicing medicine, Dr. Stowe was also the first female principal of a public school in Upper Canada. While both of her former residences / practices on Church Street near Queen Street East have been demolished and replaced with other buildings, her connection to this area should be commemorated with a heritage plaque. Please note that the federal government has classified Dr. Stowe as a person of National Historic Person and erected a heritage plaque about her near Toronto's Women's College Hospital (where a portion of Elizabeth Street was renamed Dr. Emily Stowe Way). However, Dr. Stowe's long-time Church Street practices and residences have not been commemorated with any markers or plaques.
Dr. Emily H. Stowe - Heritage Plaque (near Church Street and Queen Street East)
Adam G. Wynne